Rental Terms and Conditions
Budget at this location rents to customers ages 21 years old and up. See below for specific requirements and restrictions by age category.
Customers 21-24 years old
- A valid state issued driver’s license in the driver’s name that includes photo identification.
- A major credit card. Note that Check/Debit Cards are not accepted for drivers 21-24.
- At the time of rental, we will automatically apply an additional underage surcharge for drivers 21-24. These fees and restrictions are not reflected in your reservation. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Renters age 21-24 may rent Economy cars, Compact cars, Intermediate cars, Standard cars, Full-Size cars, Minivans, Intermediate SUVs, Standard SUVs, Pickups, Cargo Vans and Moving Trucks only. No other vehicles may be rented.
- Renters age 21-24 may not add additional drivers with the exception of a legal spouse.
Customers 25 years and older
- A valid state issued driver’s license in the driver’s name that includes photo identification.
- A major credit card or Check/Debit Card. We will allow customers 25 years and older to use a Check/Debit Card in place of a credit card, but there are some additional requirements and restrictions, including the types of vehicles that may be rented. See Check/Debit Card Policies for specifics.
- Customers age 25 and up may rent any vehicles in our fleet including Economy cars, Compact cars, Intermediate cars, Standard cars, Full-Size cars, Minivans, Intermediate SUVs, Standard SUVs, Premium SUVs, Premium cars, Luxury cars, Convertibles, Sport Coupes, Specialty Vehicles, Pickups, Cargo Vans and Moving Trucks. However, Check/Debit cards are not accepted for the rental of Premium SUVs, Premium cars, Luxury cars, Convertibles, Sport Coupe and Specialty Vehicles.
- Renters age 25 years and older may add additional drivers. See Additional Driver Policy.
Credit Card Policies
Budget accepts most major credit cards as credit identification at the time of rental. Accepted credit card list: Budget Charge Card, Budget International, American Express, Carte Blanche, Diner’s Club, Diner’s Club International, Discover, China UnionPay, JCB, MasterCard, Optima, Peterson, Howell and Heather (PHH) and Visa. Some locations may not accept each of the referenced cards. At the time of rental, we will request an authorization on your charge card. While this hold is in place, the funds will not be available for your use. When the rental is over, we will process the reversal, but the bank may take some time to post it back to the account. The required credit card hold amount is noted in the section below “Additional Fees, Debit Deposits and Credit Holds.”
Check/Debit Card Policies
Only customers ages 25 years and older may rent using a Check/Debit Card. If you plan to use a Check/Debit Card, please read the requirements below and bring all necessary documents with you at the time of rental. Note that all documents must be in the name of the renter. If you fail to comply with all necessary requirements, you will be unable to rent using a Check/Debit card.
- Driver’s License-You must present a valid state issued driver’s license in the driver’s name that includes photo identification. We will not accept a photocopy, electronic copy, fax or ticket in lieu of physical license in hand.
- Check/Debit Card-This location only accepts bank-issued debit cards with the MasterCard or Visa logo at the time of the rental. The Check/Debit Card must be embossed in the renter’s name. No pre-paid, loadable or payroll cards are accepted. The Check/Debit Card account must have available the full deposit amount needed at the time of rental as noted in the section below “Additional Fees, Debit Deposits and Credit Holds” for the required deposit.At the time of rental pickup, a Check/Debit Card can be used for the required deposit for only these specific vehicle classes: Economy, Compact, Intermediate, Standard, Full-Size, Minivan, Intermediate SUV, Standard SUV, Pickups, Cargo Vans and Moving Trucks. A Check/Debit Card cannot be used for any other vehicle classes. Budget will secure a deposit from your account as noted in the section below entitled “Additional Fees, Debit Deposits and Credit Holds.” Budget reserves the right in its sole discretion to request extra value based on certain factors as we deem appropriate. THESE FUNDS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR USE. Upon returning the vehicle, Budget will refund the unused portion of the deposit subject to your bank’s procedures. The credit may take up to 2 weeks to be deposited by your bank. If you fail to return the vehicle as agreed, Budget will obtain additional deposits from your account to cover the rental charges. Budget is not responsible for any returned checks or overdrafts based on this policy. In the United States, Debit/or Check Cards can be used at the end for payment of rental charges. Prepaid Debit/Gift cards are accepted at time of return only.
- Additional Qualifying Document-In addition to a valid driver’s license and bank-issued Check/Debit Card embossed in the renter’s name, one additional qualifying document with the same address as the driver’s license is required. If the addresses do not match, a second qualifying document is required. Qualifying documents differ depending on if you are a Utah resident or a non-Utah resident. Qualifying documents cannot show a past due or negative account balance, negative account activity, or disconnect notice.
- Utah residents must bring a current copy (within the last 45 days) of renter’s contracted cellular phone bill, home telephone or utility bill, bank statement, mortgage statement, paycheck stub or insurance statement/policy declaration showing their local address and name.
- Non- Utah residents- may present an air travel confirmation indicating their return information (flight #/date/time) in lieu of the additional qualifying document as noted above.
- Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)-LDW can be purchased at the time of rental. LDW relieves the renter and authorized additional drivers of financial responsibility if the Budget car is damaged or stolen while under the rental contract. Violating any of the use restrictions listed in the rental agreement could void LDW and leave the renter fully responsible for any damage to the vehicle.
- Damage Deposit-Leave a $1,000.00 damage deposit charged to the bank-issued Check/Debit Card. The renter will then be held responsible for any and all damages to the Budget vehicle regardless of fault. The damage deposit may be applied to the cost of any damages.
- Personal Insurance Policy-Present a current valid insurance card in the renter’s name showing that full comprehensive and collision coverage transfers to cover the rental vehicle. This will be confirmed by a Budget representative (by contacting a representative from the insurance company). If your insurance transfers to the rental, the LDW may be declined and the $1,000.00 damage deposit waived.
- Damage Coverage-For all bank-issued Check/Debit Card customers, you must cover potential damages to our vehicle while out on rent. You can do this in one of three ways:
Acceptance of Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) relieves the renter and authorized additional drivers of financial responsibility if the Budget car is damaged or stolen while under rental contract. Violating any of the use restrictions listed in the rental agreement could void LDW and leave the renter fully responsible for any damage to the vehicle.
LDW is not available in all states and certain restrictions may apply in some states. At the time of rental, the customer must initial whether he/she accepts or declines the LDW and/or other optional services. LDW and other optional services must be signed for at the rental counter.
If LDW is not accepted, the customer may be responsible for up to the full fair market value of the car if it is damaged, vandalized or stolen during the rental. The customer may also be responsible for reimbursing Budget for the revenue lost by not being able to use the car while it is being repaired or not recovered due to theft (referred to as Loss of Use) and any diminished value resulting from the accident.
Driver’s License Requirements
At time of rental, the driver must present a valid driver’s license in the driver’s name that includes photo identification. We will not accept a photocopy, electronic copy, fax or ticket in lieu of physical license in hand. All drivers must have a safe driving record. You may be asked to sign a driving record addendum or be subject to a computerized Department of Motor Vehicles check. Based upon such search, Budget reserves the right to deny a rental opportunity.
- Military Extensions are honored as per the restrictions or limitations each issuing state allows.
- Foreign licenses (any license issued outside of the United States) are acceptable as long as it can be determined that the document presented is a valid driver’s license and must be accompanied by a valid passport. An International Driving Permit (IDP) issued in a country other than the U.S. will be accepted as an English translation of a foreign license. An IDP is not valid without the accompanying foreign license.
Additional Driver Policy
Renters must be at least 25 years old in order to add an additional driver. No additional drivers allowed when using a Check/Debit Card. The only exceptions are the legal spouse of a driver age 21-24 may be added as an additional driver and/or a legal spouse may be added as an additional driver when using a Check/Debit Card. All other additional drivers must be at least 25 years of age and must be present with their required credentials to be added to the rental contract. There is an additional driver fee. These fees and restrictions are not reflected in your reservation. For details, email email@example.com.
The following are exempt from the additional driver fee but must meet all other driver requirements: the renter’s employer or fellow employee when on company business and renting under a corporate account; the renter’s legal spouse; the qualified driver of a renter with a disability who has completed the non-licensed renter form; some membership partners such as Costco, USAA, and AARP (refer directly to those member sites for additional information).
Additional Fees, Debit Deposits and Credit Holds
- Optional coverages, services, products, special equipment and one-way fees are subject to additional taxes and fees that may not be reflected in the quoted total. Your total rental rate is calculated based on the information provided at the time of reservation. Frequent Flyer surcharges may be applied at time of rental. Extensions or late returns may result in additional charges.
- The estimated total charges shown for off-airport locations apply only to renters whose trip does not involve travel through the Salt Lake City International Airport or who are not affiliated with the Salt Lake International Airport. Renters who are affiliated with or travel through the Salt Lake City International Airport, but rent at an off-airport location, are subject to the assessment of airport-imposed concession fees based upon the concession agreement mandated on Budget by the Salt Lake City Department of Airports. These fees may not be included in the estimated total, but are mandatory for those renters who are affiliated with or have traveled through the Salt Lake City International Airport, and will be assessed at the time of rental for those renters. These fees may not be waived once assessed.
- In order to rent a car, we will put a hold on your credit card or take a deposit on your Check/Debit Card for the total estimated rental charges plus an additional amount to cover any unanticipated charges. A prepaid card is not an acceptable method of credit identification for this hold. While the hold or deposit is in place, the funds will not be available for your use. Once you return the vehicle, we will process a release of the unused portion of the hold subject to your bank’s procedures. The hold could take up to 2 weeks to be released by your bank.
Debit Card Deposit and Credit Card Hold Calculations
- Initial credit card holds and Check/Debit Card deposits will be processed at the time of rental to the debit or credit card account equal to $80.00, plus estimated rental charges, plus one additional day of all charges, fees, and taxes or a minimum of $300.00, whichever is greater. Certain Specialty and Luxury car classes may require a higher credit card hold. These fees and restrictions are not reflected in your reservation. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
THESE FUNDS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR USE. We are not responsible for any returned checks or overdrafts due to our debit deposit policy. If the rental vehicle is not returned by the scheduled time as stipulated in the rental agreement and/or if the rental term is extended by the renter during the course of the rental, these additional rental charges will be processed to the debit or credit card account.
Payment of Rental Charges
A Check/Debit card, prepaid card, credit card or cash can be used for payment of rental charges upon car return. Except for a surcharge for renters under 25 years of age at some locations, your total rental rate is calculated based on the information provided at time of reservation. The rate is based on the exact parameters (location, dates, etc.) of your particular rental so changing any of your confirmed reservation parameters could result in a different rate, taxes and fees. Quoted taxes and fees are subject to change which will affect your final total due at rental return. Vehicles are rented on a daily (24hour) basis. There is a 29minute grace period for returns. After 29 minutes, late charges + taxes will apply. The U.S. Government imposes a $5/day Admin Rate Supplement (GARS) for U.S. Government rentals.
If you selected an Optional Product (coverages, GPS, child safety seat, Roadside SafetyNet, XM Radio, etc.) with your rental:
- Prohibited use of your rental vehicle will void the optional coverages and Roadside SafetyNet Option.
- Refueling charges are not included in your reservation total. See Fuel Policy.
- You are responsible for replacement costs if the Optional Product or its components are lost, stolen or damaged. Products are charged on a daily (24hour) basis. There is no grace period for returns, so full day late charges will apply.
If you used a coupon for your reservation:
- Most savings are reflected in your quoted rate. If your rental meets all coupon terms, any additional rate adjustment will be made when you pick up your car.
- For an upgrade, your reserved car will be upgraded at time of rental subject to car availability. This upgrade may not be used in conjunction with any other coupon, promotion or deal.
- The value of your coupon has been deducted from the base rate (time and mileage) charges and is reflected in the approximate total. Paper coupons, however, may not be applied online and should be presented at the counter. Please refer to all coupons for the full terms. Restrictions may apply.
If you reserve any type of vehicle that requires a credit card hold and you no longer require the rental, you must cancel the reservation 24 hours before the scheduled pickup time, or you will be charged the greater of one-day rental or $75 U.S.
Once you have picked up the car, if you wish to extend the rental return date past your originally scheduled time, call the phone number on your rental contract or by going on-line to budgetutah.com/extension. A service extension fee will apply, and your original per day rental rate may change. If within 7 hours of your originally scheduled return time you don’t call to extend your rental, a late fee will apply.
If the vehicle is kept beyond the original due back date, without obtaining a valid extension in advance, an overstay fee will apply.
Renter will pay for or replace all fuel provided by Budget. The refueling charge is determined by multiplying the number of gallons needed to refill the tank (to the same levels when received) times the dollar-per-gallon rate specified on the Rental Agreement. Renter agrees that the number of gallons needed to refill the tank may be estimated by the fuel gauge reading or the miles driven. If you refuel, please do so within 5 miles of the return location and save your receipt for verification purposes.
Restricted Geographic Areas
Vehicles at this location cannot travel into Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Canada or Mexico. Based on availability, oneway rentals may be allowed to some US cities.
Traffic and Toll Violations
Renter will pay all fines and penalties for traffic law violations that occur during the rental (including parking and toll violations) as well as Budget’s expense in responding to authorities concerning such violations. Renter agrees that in connection with any claimed violations of traffic or other laws any information relating to Renter may be submitted to governmental authorities. Renter authorizes Budget to release his/her rental and charge card information to Violation Management Services (VMS) or other similar contracted processor for the exclusive purpose of processing and billing for tolls, fines, penalties and fees. Renter agrees to pay, upon billing, an administrative fee of up to $50 for EACH unpaid violation or toll incurred during the terms of the rental.
One Way Rentals/Vehicle Return
All rentals must be returned to the originating rental location unless authorized, in advance, as evidenced in writing in the Rental Agreement. Vehicles returning to an unauthorized location will be subject to a drop charge and rental rate surcharge.